Starflight by Melissa Landers
Published by Disney-Hyperion on February 2, 2016
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 369 Format: Hardcover Source: Library
Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She’s so desperate to reach the realm that she’s willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.
When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he’s been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe…
Melissa Landers’ Starflight turned out to be quite the surprise for me. Shout out to Sarah from The YA Book Traveler for talking so much about this book. I dived right in and did not look back. Solara Brooks needs to get to the outer realm for work and her only option ends up being Doran Spaulding, a pain in the ass classmate. Unfortunately things don’t go as planned and they both end up on the run.
Reasons Why I Enjoyed Starflight
- The Main Characters! Solara is an excellent mechanic trying to find her niche in a world that has not been easy on her while Doran has it all, so much money and power that he’s never wanted for anything. Both of them are constantly learning about the world and each other. Plus there was consistent development throughout.
- The Banshee Crew: We’ve got Captain Rossi, Renny, Cassia, and Kane flying through the system taking jobs as they come. They were giving off some strong Firefly vibes especially when Solara and Doran join them. I will love anything that even remotely makes me think of Firefly so…
- Space Pirates! Who runs the black market and prowls the outer reaches? The Brethren of Pirates, that’s who. If you regularly visit this blog, you probably have noticed the influx of books related to seafaring and pirates. So I just branched out to space now.
- The Story: Filled with twists, turns, and major revelations, Landers keeps the reader guessing as she crafts an epic narrative. Corporations have all the power, fuel is money, and where does that leave the people in the middle. With plenty of action, a few daring escapes, and some romance to boot it all flowed together nicely.
- The Universe! Earth has branched out across the galaxy terraforming planets yet people still play high school football. I enjoyed the contrast of new and old and appreciated the connection to reality.
Overall Starflight by Melissa Landers was an absolute blast to read. It was a crazy fun space romp filled with conspiracy, pirates, a wily crew of characters, and just a touch of romance. An adventure across the galaxy with two very different people coming together to survive provided a roller coaster of emotions and it was fast paced from start to finish. I definitely think everyone should give this book a shot especially if you love science fiction!
So, have you read Starflight by Melissa Landers? What are some other fun space adventures I need to read? Did it give you Firefly vibes? Let me know all of your thoughts in the comments below!