Wanderlost by Jen Malone
Published by HarperTeen on May 31, 2016
Genres: Young Adult, Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 352 Format: Paperback Source: Library
Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe.
Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.
Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.
But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.
When I read contemporary I tend to just love them with their cute, romantic stories and real life situations and Wanderlost by Jen Malone definitely hit all the right notes for me. With Ohio roots, a road trip through Europe, and personal struggles, Aubree’s journey was a whirlwind experience that was so much fun and so easy to relate to. I couldn’t help but love it!
Top 5 Reasons to Read & Love Wanderlost
- Oh Europe how I miss thee! Honestly I just loved how this gave me so much nostalgia for my time abroad and added to my desire to travel again. The descriptions of each stop were so detailed and provided such wonderful visuals. Take me back now!
- Aubree & Sam: Aubree may have been a mess but she was finding herself in the process and Sam was just so laid back that it totally worked. These two were so freaking adorable together even when things got complicated and I just loved all their flirting.
- I wasn’t sure about the whole senior citizen portion going into this book but I really did enjoy them. Each one of them was so honest and funny in their own way and it really added to the story.
- Aubree’s relationship with her sister was a driving force in the narrative and I enjoyed the outlook of these two very different siblings and how that impacted their lives. It added depth and relatability which I’m always a fan of.
- The Ohio Connection: All the little mentions just resonated with me. While I love my state, perfectly boring is an apt description a lot of the time. Unlike Aubree though I always want to travel and live in different locales.
Overall I really enjoyed Wanderlost by Jen Malone. It was fun yet still played with my emotions and definitely increased my travel bug like a thousand fold. Aubree and Sam were totally swoon worthy and I loved every second of it. Plus the seniors were actually a welcome edition. I’d definitely recommend this one especially if you love Europe!
So have you read Wanderlost by Jen Malone? Do you love to travel like I do? Where are some of your favorite destinations? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments below!